Before a student can attend school, parents must provide proof of full immunization, proof that a schedule of immunization has been started or a certificate of exemption. Immunization must be provided against diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus, polio, mumps, measles, rubella, hepatitis B and varicella.

All immunization records turned in to schools or child care centers are required by state law to be medically verified. Immunization records must be kept on file in your child’s school. This means immunization records turned in to the school must be from a health care provider, or you must attach paperwork from a health care provider to your handwritten form that shows your child’s records are accurate.

If your child already meets immunization requirements and has records on file with the school, no action is required. 


Immunizations protect the health of your child, and the health of others. State law requires that children entering Kindergarten must have certain immunizations. For Kindergarten entry:

  • 2 doses of Varicella (Chickenpox) given on or after 1st birthday and received at least 28 days apart OR Blood test (titer) showing immunity to Varicella OR health care provider diagnosis is acceptable. Parent reported history of disease is NO longer acceptable

  • 5 doses of DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis)

  • 5th dose must be given on or after 4th birthday or 4 doses are acceptable, if 4th dose was given on or after the 4th birthday.

  • 4 doses of Polio – 4th dose must be given on or after 4th birthday or 3 doses are acceptable, if 3rd dose was given on or after the 4th birthday.

  • 2 doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) given on or after 1st birthday and received at least 28 days apart OR Blood test (titer) showing immunity to Measles, Mumps, or Rubella is acceptable

  • 3 doses of Hepatitis B; dose 3 must be given on or after 24 weeks of age.


All students attending grades 7 through 12 must have had one dose of Tdap vaccine:

  • For students in 7th grade, the Tdap vaccine must be given at or after age 10.

  • For students in 8th to 12th grades, the Tdap vaccine must be given at or after age 7.


  • A CIS filled out by you or another parent/guardian with medical records attached.

  • A CIS printed by a health care provider or school from the Washington State Immunization Information System.

  • A CIS printed from MyIR which is a free Department of Health online tool that allows families to view and print their official immunization records themselves. Go to to begin the sign-up process.

If you are requesting an exemption from one or more of the immunization requirements, you must provide the school a completed Certificate of Exemption. Click here to learn more.


Meningococcal vaccine and Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine are not required for school attendance, but families with adolescent students should have this information. Schools in Washington must make information available on Meningococcal and Human Papillomavirus disease to parents/guardians of all students entering grades 6 to 12. Read more about each of these diseases and prevention using the links above. This information is also online at Contact your school if you would like a printed copy of this information.

As a parent/guardian, there is nothing more important than safeguarding your child’s health. The Washington State Legislature requires us to make information available to you about meningococcal disease and human papillomavirus (HPV). Know the facts about these diseases and the vaccines available to protect your child.

Meningococcal Disease and Prevention

What is meningococcal disease?

Meningococcal disease is a serious bacterial infection. Fortunately, this life-threatening illness is rare, with only 20-50 cases reported each year in Washington. The most common symptoms of the disease include fever, cough, headache, and rash. It can cause meningitis (swelling of the covering of the brain and spinal cord). The disease spreads through close contact with an infected person. Teens and young adults are more likely to get meningococcal disease, especially if they live in group settings like college dorms.

How can I protect my child from meningococcal disease?

The meningococcal vaccine, or MCV4, prevents against four types of the disease. It is recommended for all children between 11 and 12 years of age, and again at 16 to 18 years of age.

Where can I find the meningococcal vaccine?

Talk to your doctor, nurse, or local health department to learn more. Washington offers free vaccines to kids through age 18. Providers may charge an office visit fee or administration fee to give the vaccine. People who can’t afford these fees can ask to have them waived.

For more information about meningococcal disease and how to prevent it, you can visit the following organizations’ websites: Washington State Department of HealthCenters for Disease Control and PreventionChildren’s Hospital of Philadelphia Vaccine Education Center


What is HPV?

HPV is a common virus. Most people exposed to HPV will never develop health issues. But for others, HPV causes major health problems, including cervical, anal, vulvar, mouth, and throat cancer. Most infected people have no symptoms and may spread the virus without knowing it. HPV spreads mainly through sexual contact.

How can I protect my child from HPV?

Make sure your child gets the HPV vaccine. The vaccine is highly effective. The best time to get it is before sexual activity ever starts. The HPV vaccine can prevent infection from some of the most common and serious types of HPV that cause cancer and genital warts. The vaccine does not get rid of existing HPV infections.

Who should get the vaccine and when should they get it?

Three doses of HPV vaccine are recommended for all boys and girls starting at ages 11 to 12. It is recommended for females up to age 26 and for men up to age 21. In addition to HPV vaccine, your 11 to 12-year-old should receive Tdap and meningococcal vaccines.

Where can I find the HPV vaccine?

Ask your doctor, nurse, or local health department about the vaccine and where you can get it.

For more information on HPV, the vaccine, and cervical cancer, you can visit the following organizations’ websites: Washington State Department of HealthCenters for Disease Control & PreventionAmerican Cancer Society

Please contact your health care provider or one of the following to make sure your child meets the required immunizations:

  • Health Department Immunization Clinic
    1500 N. State Street
    Phone: 360-778-6100
    For children 18 and under, must have no health insurance, and no health care provider.
    Every Wednesday between 1p.m. and 4p.m. by appointment only.

  • Sea Mar Community Health Center
    4455 Cordata Parkway
    Phone: 360-671-3225
    Monday: 8 AM to 9 PM
    Tuesday-Saturday: 8 AM to 5 PM
    Nurse visit by appointment for established patients
    New Patients by appointment.

  • Unity Care NW
    220 Unity Street
    Phone: 360-676-6177
    Monday-Friday: 7:45 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
    Saturday: 7:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
    Immunizations by appointment for established patients